Total Pageviews

Friday 17 June 2011

Week One - Ch 1 - Take 100% Responsibility for Your Life

Okay...... I get it.  My life is a result of the choices I have made in the past.  I ate the food.... I spent the money ...... I trusted the guy ........  I am responsible.  I just haven't taken responsibility.  In most instances I have done the usual blaming of others for my circumstances.  I have accepted some responsibility, but certainly not 100%.  Realistically, after reading this chapter it has probably been more like 10%.  But it is so much easier to blame the other person.  Looking inward is a painful experience.  It is humbling and my ego fights back.  And my ego is big, bold and ugly!  My quiet spiritual inner voice doesn't stand a chance going up against such a monstrosity as my ego.  So it is time to let go and listen to my spirit..... or my inner voice ....... or whatever label one would put on this hidden part of who I am.  I have actually kept it so well hidden that it is a challenge to find it and get in touch again.

Here's the big problem..... the one I have to conquer.  This is my mountain.  I have to give up BLAMING and give up COMPLAINING.  So on the top of my To-Do list for tomorrow is a visit to Canadian Tire so that I can buy a big roll of duct tape to tape my mouth shut!  That's part of the solution....... but most of my blaming and complaining is done in my head.  Not sure how to tape that thought process shut.

What I understand from the copious amounts of reading I have done, is if you want to change a bad habit you need to replace it with a good habit.  I will conmmit to working on the blaming/complaining that is securely lodged in my conscious mind by starting and keeping a Gratitude Journal.  I will replace the B&C with journaling prayers of thankfulness.  I will use my journal to focus on all the good I have in my life, and even in the dire circumstances I find myself in, I still have a lot to be thankful for.  I have good friends that continue to support me through all the dumb decisions and choices I have made, I have a daughter I adore, I have a sister I would walk on hot coals for, I have my health, I have food on the table and a roof over my head.  I am doing much much better than the majority of people in this world.

The interesting this about this first chapter in Canfield's book that I realize by accepting 100% responsibility for your life, that means one must be cognizant of their actions, thoughts and choices.  Just getting to that point could possibly be enough to guarantee success in life.   We'll see.    Stay tuned.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting... My mind doesn't stay quiet long enough to hear my inner voice very often. It's easier to stay focused on goals when the mind is open and more quiet. I had a much easier time getting mine to quiet down when I was doing yoga. Maybe yoga (or meditation) would help you focus your thoughts? Our minds are pretty amazing. And I mean that in general, not just yours and mine! Lol

    ReplyDelete