Total Pageviews

Saturday 11 June 2011

Does Jack Canfield really know the Secret of Success?

I am an addict.  I'm not your typical addict.  I am not an alcoholic.  I don't smoke.  I don't have a problem with drugs.  I am a Self-Help addict.

If you were to come by my home and look at my bookshelves, you would see almost every well known Self-Development and Weight Loss book on the market.... and some that may even be out of print by now.  Yet in spite of this library of knowledge, I am still 30 lbs overweight and haven't found the secret of success.... at least I haven't found the success part.

Are you like me in that every time you buy one of these types of books, you get an endorphine rush just thinking about how much better your life is now going to be because you bought "the" book that is going to help you become a millionaire, lose weight, get fit, and live the life of your dreams?  At this point, my retirement plan would look much better if I had invested the $20-40 per book I have spent in an investment account or even an RRSP. 

But, don't get me wrong.  I believe that most of these books have excellent messages and are based on sound principles.  The problem is reading them doesn't automatically translate into success.  The problem is it sounds easy but is very difficult to actually live day in and day out.  Do you know what I mean?  I will buy whatever the newest must-read self-help book is on the market and sometimes I will even read it to the very end.  See... even the follow through to get right to the end of the book is often a problem for me!  With that said, however, I have read quite a few of them.  Just not all of them.  I have realized that buying and even reading the book is not going to improve my life.   I actually have to take steps to implement the recommended changes into my life.  Not just for a day, or a week or a month.... but day in, day out... every day.... forever.  I have to consciously decide each day to live the principles.  Not to crumble as soon as I have a bad day, or give up when I don't see immediate results.  I must believe what I believe and live it..... or as Jack says, "Act as If"!

So, what does it take to make change.  I believe it takes the following.
1)  A Goal
2)  Accountability
3)  Motivation

So here goes.  What is my goal?  My goal is to work my way through Jack Canfield's Book "The Success Principles" within the next year.  I will read one chapter each week (re-reading the chapter daily) and attempt to put into practice the success prinicple discussed in the chapter.  Since there are 64 principles and only 56 weeks, I will double up on the last few chapters in order to complete the project in a year,

What about accountability?  That is what this blog is all about.  I will share with you my successes and failures.  I will allow all of you.... whoever you may be.... to hold me accountable.  I commit to posting a minimum of 2 blogs per week updating you on what I have read, what my thoughts are, and what changes, if any, I am seeing my life. 

Motivation?  Well, as mentioned, I am 30 lbs overweight and broke.  I want the life of my dreams.  I want everything that I believe is possible.  I want what we all want.  To be secure, happy and confident.  Can this be learned from a book?  We'll see.  Join me, if you will, on this journey.  Lord knows, we all need cheerleaders!
Til next time......

Deb (the Inner-Ventionist)

3 comments:

  1. Hi! I came over from your sister's blog (Vicki) and just wanted to say that I remember my first blog post - and how frightening it was to commit to something so "regular" - but it has been such a blessing to me to hear from people about things and to visit with my new "friends" in the cyber-world. Best wishes to you - I'll bookmark your page and come back!

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also came from Vicki's blog...good luck with yours! I'm following it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. (I'm hoping Blogger will let me leave a comment this time.) I'll be following you on your journey as one of your cheerleaders. Rah, rah, Deb! You go, girl! I'm looking forward to your next post. :)

    ReplyDelete